BRCGS Global Standard for Storage & Distribution and IFS Logistics
Taking control of logistics in the supply chain demonstrates your company’s ability to meet the requirements of customers and consumers when it comes to food and beverage quality, safety and legality issues.
Based on their "due diligence" concept (the capability to be able to demonstrate that every reasonable measure has been taken to avoid an incident), the European retailers have established specific standards to ensure food (and non-food) product quality, safety and legality for the logistics related steps in the food and beverage supply chain. The unique aspects of food and beverage product logistics are addressed in standards intended to fulfill the retailer’s "due diligence" concept and apply to any player in the food and beverage supply chain.
The BRCGS (Brand Reputation through Compliance) Global Standard for Storage and Distribution and the IFS Logistics standards are safety and operational management system standards, applicable to food and non-food products. They are created to ensure supplier compliance, taking into consideration the warehousing, transportation and distribution steps, as well as wholesales and other logistic services, to secure the retailers’ abilities to guarantee the quality and safety of the food products that they sell.
What are the benefits?
The BRCGS Global Standard for Storage and Distribution was developed by British retailers to ensure best practices for product safety and operational management in the supply chain for organisations involved in the storage and distribution, including wholesale activities, of food and non-food products.
The standard supports retailers and other users in their fulfillment of legal obligations and protection of the consumer by:
- Providing a common basis for evaluating companies involved in storage and distribution of products.
- Enabling accredited certification of companies supplying products and services to retailer and allied industries.
The IFS Logistics standard was developed by German, French and Italian retailers aiming to close the gap between production and retailing, and to make the whole supply chain transparent and comparable. Certification to the IFS Logistics standard demonstrates your company’s capability to manage food safety related risks. It will help your organisation to fulfill your legal obligations and to protect the consumer. Combined with the IFS Broker standard it covers also trading and wholesales activities.
The BRCGS Global Storage and Distribution standard and the IFS Logistics standard enable your organisation to:
- Provide evidence of commitment and, in case of a food safety incident, legal defense in the frame of the "due diligence" concept.
- Build and operate a management system capable of helping the logistics company to better meet food safety requirements and legal compliance.
- Provide a tool for food safety performance improvement by monitoring and measuring food safety performance effectively.
- Ensure effective product recall, if needed.
How can I prepare for certification?
Companies that plan well will often have an advantage and be better prepared for certification. It is important that you and your company are positive, committed, and set clear target dates for implementation and assessment.
- Establishing a quality management system.
- Identifying legal requirements.
- Identifying and documenting the specific food safety hazards and the relevant control measures (HACCP system).
- Identifying the applicable Good Manufacturing Practice/Good Hygiene Practice, including a pest control programme, equipment and building maintenance programme, housekeeping and cleaning programme, and all the specific standard requirements.
- Implement any needed structural improvements.
Why partner with us?
DNV GL is a world-leading certification body. We help businesses assure the performance of their organizations, products, people, facilities and supply chains through certification, verification, assessment, and training services. Within the food and beverage industry, we help customers worldwide to achieve excellence in food safety and quality, environmental management, supply chain management and product sustainability. Partnering with our customers, we build sustainable business performance and create stakeholder trust. The DNV GL Group operates in more than 100 countries. Our 16,000 professionals are dedicated to helping our customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.